Social
bookmarking is a system for Internet users to organize, store, manage
and search for bookmarks of resources online. Tagging is also a tool for social
bookmarking and it is a significant feature of social bookmarking. It enables users
to organize their bookmarks in flexible ways and develop shared vocabularies. Activities like
social bookmarking give users the opportunity to express different views on
resources that are available online websites that are open to the public.
Social bookmarking allows common users to view and create communities. Individuals
are able to use folksonomy and tags to identify related topics that were
previously researched or used by others. Social bookmarking also allows users
to alter their bookmarks due to the ever-changing information that is available
online.
Tagging information
resources with keywords can lead to changes in the way we research and store information.
Flash drives and personal computers can be overloaded with information and the
social bookmarking sites allow an individual to retrieve needed information
quickly. It may become less important to know and remember where information
was found and more important to know how to recover it using a site online that
is designed and shared with peers and colleagues. Social bookmarking shortens the
allocation of reference lists, bibliographies, papers, and other resources
among peers or students. Most social
bookmarking sites allow you to browse through the items based on most popular,
recently added, or belonging to a certain category like shopping, technology,
politics, blogging, news, sports, etc.
Social news is a related tool used for social
bookmarking. Social news sites are different from standard social bookmarking
sites by focusing on specific articles and blog posts rather than websites. Websites
like Digg, Reddit and Propeller focus on social bookmarking of
news-related items such as politics, sports, technology, etc. These websites
will often feature breaking headlines and bloggers discussing the current news
items. They can be a great source of news, and they also offer the ability to
participate in the discussion by leaving comments on popular news items.
The social bookmarking
site used for this project was Delicious. Delicious is a popular site used by many
online users in common social communities. The bookmark stack was created to display a plethora of resources
related to technology, education and content information in social studies. The
sites are related to teaching materials in American History Part I and II. Some
of the online sites provide information to assist students with the AHSGE.
Teachers can also access sites related to research, writing, and citing
information. This was a great resource project for the class and my personal
use. It allowed me to organize the web addresses that I often use in my class
instruction and I plan to share the web address with colleagues and department
members. I also plan to create a social bookmarking site for my students to
access online sites that will assist them in the class materials, assignments,
and projects. This assignment is strongly related to my blog address, EMERGING
TECHNOLOGY: PREPARING THE 21ST CENTURY LEARNER.
Access my social bookmark EDL 529 at http://delicious.com/stacks/view/IMIQN6
http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7001.pdf
I also found this tool very useful because your resources are just a click away. So many times, I will save links to a Word document or just hope that I will be able to find it again when I Google it. Delicious has a great feature in which you can drag the button to your toolbar so if you see a site you like, you just click the button and it saves! It is such an effective way to keep up with and organize resources, especially as a professional. I also thought that this would be a great way to share information with students for multiple purposes.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the article that you posted about social bookmarking. I have not heard of social booking until this class and this article provided great information. One thing to really got me thinking was a down fall or negative to social bookmarking. Because anyone and everyone is bookmarking, everyones tags might not match. I know I have a hard time deciding the best way to tag my sources and I'm sure a lot of people do. It's hard to know exactly what to tag things to make sure you and other people will be able to locate it quickly. Using a social bookmarking in the classroom might prove to be challenging to make sure students are tagging information to where their peers may be able to find it.
ReplyDelete