Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Reflection of ED 529 Curriculum Technology Integration


Benefits of ED 529 Curriculum Technology Integration
Blogging
                The idea of blogging was very new to me until this course at the University of Montevallo. Blogging has become a helpful tool for my students to analyze history and improve their writing skills. I have created a blog address for my class through Google (http://fladdhistory10.blogspot.com). The students are required to complete the following: video links, PowerPoint presentations, document based questions, and or movie clips. Students are required to complete the questions posted to the blog and present their blog comments during class. Students are becoming mindful of their comments as they read aloud or share with the class. The students find it as an easy assignment and one of my questions ask “Mrs. Ladd, why we haven’t blogged before now?”

Delicious/Social Bookmarking
                The social bookmarking activity was a useful and convenient tool for educators. As I created this account, I knew this would be a tool that would allow teachers to refer back to my teaching sites at any time.  The social bookmarking account can be edited and accessed at any time; therefore, teachers do not have to locate web addresses during or outside of class. I share my account with my department and allowed them full access to it. This was a strategy share through best practices in our professional development training as well.
Twitter List
                Creating the Twitter List was okay; however, I’m not a fan of Twitter so I really did not use my account until this class. I did enjoy reading some new technology tools that could be used in my classroom by some of the people or sites I followed.

Alex Lesson Plan
               The lesson plan created for ALEX was new to me as well. I had a hard time figuring out whether the lesson should cover a unit, a project, or just simply an assignment. In the beginning, I believe I was making the assignment to broad and it was not conducive to learning technology. However, I revised my lesson plan and I was truly satisfied with my finished product. I am currently using the lesson plan on the final project in my class. My students are creating a photo journal of related historical topics and are preparing to present them next week.  

Integrating Technology in “MY” Classroom
                First, I must admit that I am the teacher that usually shy away from technology because I am afraid to use new things. Although, I can handle the basics I still need some hands-on training with new technology. I thought the online class was not going to be as beneficial but it was. I learned a host of new things to use in my classroom and most importantly a lot of the tools I had to learn how to use on my own. I really enjoyed the class and I know a great deal of technology learned in this class will be incorporated in my instructional lessons next year. (Technology actually makes our lives much easier!!!)

Have a Great Summer Brooklyn and Beth!!!

1 comment:

  1. Fallin, I totally agree. I was skeptical about an online class, as this is my first semester to do so. In fact, I learned a lot for working with everyone using Web tools and feel much more comfortable trying new technologies. I think that even though online education and Web 2.0 tools are new for me, that are not so new to our student, and we need to work hard to provide them with these tools that are best for them to learn in this technological society. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete