Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Students & Interactive Learning


Student interactive learning makes knowledge easier to understand and relevant. The technologies that are available to most students consist of: working on the internet, creating websites, videos, blogs, and movies, multimedia, and hands-on resources. This allows learning to be student centered and it aids students to learn at their own pace. Some interactive learning strategies would be: interviews, role playing, peer tutoring, oral presentations, cooperative learning, promethean planet (promethean boards), games, etc. The benefits of student interactive learning are retaining information and understand the lesson clearly. Students often learn from bodily kinesthetic (doing) rather than visual or auditory. Student interactive learning allows them to create new ideas that are in relation to subject area and make strong connections to the lesson. As an educator, it is always great to instruct in traditional forms but interactive learning helps teachers support their teaching.

Here is a link that was created by Special English Education report that questions Lecture v. Interactive Learning

http://youtu.be/YKN8tjAgPgY

2 comments:

  1. According to the video, students gain more from interactive learning rather than lecturing. Lectures may be interesting, but they do not fully engage most learners and do not challenge higher-order thinking skills. Discussion among peers is a great way to create a meaningful learning environment. We naturally learn from each other, and from actively seeking and working with information. I found the last statement in the video to be very true, that learning is not necessarily based on a teacher’s experience, but on how he or she teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was ironic that the video used both a visual and auditory aid, when discussing the importance of interactive learning over lectures. But they are absolutely right, when learn better through interaction and creating our own ideas. In order for our brains to develop new knowledge, it has to go through processes including memorizing, coding, and recalling. It is proven that exposure and interaction are the best forms for this. I will say that I can learn by hearing something once or twice or I may remember something I have read in a textbook or in an article, but for me to fully understand what I have heard or read, I have to gain that knowledge on my own to best fit my learning practices. Interactive strategies allow children to use what they already know and what they are capable of to build new experiences and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete